Buttermilk Fried Chicken Burger
Ok! If you're craving fried chicken or burgers, or both then these are a MUST. The chicken is incredibly succulent and surrounded by a crunchy, salty and a lil bit spicy batter. Although a slightly fussy dish its so good and so moorish you won't even remember the prep.
Serves - 2 Prep - 30 mins / OR overnight Cook - 15 mins
For the chicken
2 chicken thighs
2 tsp of paprika
1 tsp of chilli powder
1 tsp of salt
1 tbsp of lemon juice
1tsp of dijon mustard
1 tsp of maple syrup
2 garlic cloves minced
150ml of buttermilk (if you can't find it use plain yoghurt)
150g plain flour
Sunflower oil (around 1.5 litres)
2 brioche buns
Gherkin (Around 10)
2 tbsp of french mustard
2 tbsp of ketchup
2 tbsp of mayonnaise
a handful of lettuce shredded
1 medium tomato sliced
1. Start by adding buttermilk, 0.5 tsp of salt, lemon juice, 1tsp of paprika, 0.5 tsp of chilli powder, dijon, mustard, maple syrup, garlic cloves to a bowl and mix together. Place the chicken in the mix and either marinate for 4 hours in the fridge, or leave on the side for 20 mins.
2. Add the flour to a bowl with the rest of the paprika, salt and chilli powder and mix together.
3. Take the chicken out of the marinade and dip into the flour, fully coating each side. Dip the flour back in the marinade and re dip in the flour again making sure every side is fully coated (this part is essential to get the perfect batter). Beware this step is quite messy and your hands will be covered in batter so use tongs if easier
4. Leave the battered chicken to the side and onto the burger sauce! In a bowl place the ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise and 4/5 chopped gherkins, mix it all together and leave to the side.
5. Lay out the lettuce, sliced tomato and slice your brioche.
6. Now onto frying, place sunflower oil in a large frying pan and heat until a small piece of bread turns golden and crisp almost instantly. Lower the heat and place the chicken in the oil using tongs, fry each side for 5-7 mins turning every 3 minutes. Lay out kitchen roll and once cooked place the chicken on top to remove excess oil. Check the chicken is cooked all the way by cutting into the middle, if still pink inside place back in the oil for a further 5 mins.
7. Using a toaster, toast the brioche and butter, place the chicken on top and layer with the tomatoes, lettuce and the remaining gherkins. Gently press the top of the bun and enjoy.