Spiced Mungbeans on a bed of Cumin Roasted Butternut Squash
Full of texture, depth and complimentary spices, this hearty side dish is a wonderful addition to any dinner table.
Serves - 4/5 Prep - 30mins Cook - 30 mins
150g of Mungbeans or tinned lentils for ease.
1 lemon juiced
1 red onion diced
20g of parsley
4 tbsp of olive oil
3 garlic cloves crushed
4 medium tomatoes chopped
2 tbsp of za'atar
2 tbsp of Cumin
1 tsp of chilli Flakes
1 butternut squash peeled and diced
30g of feta
1tsp of salt
1tsp of black pepper
1. Soak mung beans in cold water for 20 mins, rinse and then boil for 30 mins. Once boiled rinse and leave to the side (if using tinned lentils skip this step).
2. Place the diced butternut squash in a baking dish, drizzle over a 2 tbsp of olive oil, salt, pepper and cumin and roast for 25 mins.
3. Whilst the squash is roasting, drizzle 1tbsp of olive oil into a large frying pan and add the chopped red onions. Fry for 5 -8 mins until golden, then add the garlic and fry for another 2 mins. Now add the chopped tomatoes, parsley, lemon juice and chilli flakes.
4. Add the mung beans or lentils to the spice mix and mix it all together, add another tbsp of olive oil and mix again.
5. once the squash is cooked. take out of the oven and leave to the side. Now assemble the dish, spinach first, topped with the roasted butternut squash, followed by the spiced mung beans and finish by sprinkling crumbled feta on top.