Shakshouka & Crumbled Feta With a Garlic Yoghurt Dip
This is great brunch dish or a perfect mid week carb-less dinner. Baked eggs cooking in a spicy tomato sauce infused with a variety of middle eastern spices.
Serves - 3 Prep time - 5 mins cook time - 30 mins
2tbsp of olive oil
4 garlic cloves chopped
1 onion chopped
1tbsp of garlic salt
1tbsp of za'atar
2 tbsp of cumin
1 tsp of tumeric
0.5 red chilli chopped
3 red or yellow peppers chopped in strips
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
20g of feta crumbled
20g of coriander roughly chopped
Garlic yoghurt dip
150 ml of yoghurt
1 garlic clove minced
0.5 lemon juiced
1 tsp of salt
1 tbsp of olive oil
1. Add the olive oil to a large frying pan on a medium heat and add the onion and garlic cloves, cook for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
2. Add the garlic salt, za'atar, cumin, red chilli, peppers and 100 mil of water. Mix it all together and cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes. Add two tins of chopped tomatoes and stir continuing to cook for ten minutes on a low heat.
3. Make a well at the edge of the sauce and crack in 1 egg ( to make this easier, crack the egg in a shallow cup first then add). Repeat this process until you have cracked in all the eggs, ensuring each egg has enough room. Cook the eggs on a simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Onto the dip - place the yoghurt, garlic, lemon juice and olive oil in a bowl and mix together.
5. Check on the eggs, the top of the egg should no longer be translucent but the top still wobbly to touch. Take off the heat and scatter feta and coriander over the top, serve with toasted sourdough or alone.