KFC Bao Buns
Crunchy, crispy and glazed in a sticky, sweet, and spicy sauce. Korean fried chicken bao buns are delicious snack, or the perfect accompaniment to a South Asian feast.
Serves - 4 Prep time - 30 mins cook time - 20 mins
For the chicken
4 boneless skinless chicken thigh and/or breast
100ml cup milk
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp of ground black pepper
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp ginger
3 tbsp of corn flour
1 ltr of sunflower oil for deep frying
For the sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp gochujang (Korean red chili pepper paste) if you can't find use sriracha
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp grated ginger
0.5 tsp ground black pepper
8 Bao buns (can get frozen easily at a chinese supermarket)
1 tbsp of sesame seeds
30g of coriander
4 spring onions sliced length ways
3 carrots thinly sliced length ways
1. Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and marinate in milk for 30 minutes in the fridge.
2. Drain the chicken well and mix with the salt, pepper, garlic, and ginger. Let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes.
3. Onto the sauce. In a pan, add all the sauce ingredients, and stir well. Bring it to a boil. When it starts to bubble, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer until it thickens slightly, about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the heat off.
4. Place the corn flour in a bowl and add the chicken pieces gradually, making sure each piece is evenly coated.
5. Pour the oil into a large sauce pan and place on a high heat. When the oil is sufficiently hot (if a small piece of bread bubbles to the top its ready) drop the chicken pieces in one at a time. Fry them in two batches. Overcrowding will drop the oil temperature too quickly. Cook until light golden brown, about 3 minutes. Remove and set them on a wire rack or a paper towel-lined plate.
6. Place the bao buns in a steamer and steam for 6 minutes. If you don't have a steamer, use a pan topped with a sieve and cover the buns with the pan lid.
7. Whilst the buns are steaming, reheat the sauce for 1- 2 minutes. Once the sauce is bubbling lower the heat and add the fried chicken pieces. Coat the chicken evenly in the sauce and turn off the heat.
8. Now assemble. Take the bao buns and line with the carrot, coriander and chicken, sprinkle the sesame seeds over and top with the spring onion.