Deep Fried Risotto Balls stuffed with Feta
if you’re making risotto make enough for these lil babies. It’s a cheesy, crispy party in your mouth
Serves - 4 Prep time - 5 mins cook time - 30 mins
500g of left over risotto - for risotto recipe see here
1 egg whisked
150g plain flour
300g breadcrumbs (ideally panko)
1 litre of sunflower oil
1. Place the risotto in a bowl, ensuring it is warm (but not hot).
2. In four separate bowls place the flour, the egg, the breadcrumbs and the feta.
3. Using a spoon, take one heaped tbsp of risotto and place it on a chopping board (or your hand), make a well in the middle and add 0.5 tsp of feta in the middle, then enclose the cheese in the rice and roll it into a ball ensuring the feta is completely covered by the risotto, line the stuffed ball on a chopping board.
4. Repeat this process until you have used all of the risotto and lined up the balls. Now starting with one ball at a time, dip the ball in the flour first, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs (ensuring each side is covered throughout each dipping process). Line the breaded balls up and we're going to fry them.
5. Place the sunflower oil in a large deep pan and heat until a small piece of bread turns golden and crisp almost instantly. Now place the breaded balls into the oil one at a time, being careful not to crowd them (a round 5 balls at a time). Fry until golden, remove and place on a board or plate lined with kitchen roll. Repeat this process until all the balls have been fried.
6. Serve with aioli or fresh chopped tomatoes, olive oil and parsley.