Cumin Roasted Squash on a bed of Spiced Lentils
Full of texture, depth and complimentary spices, this hearty side dish is a wonderful addition to any dinner table. The lentils are a great source of fiber and protein and offer a delicate balance of spices. The cumin is slow cooked to perfection and finished with pomegranate seeds to add a pop of sweetness and depth.
Serves - 4/5 Prep - 15 mins Cook - 40 mins
2 x tined lentils.
1 lemon juiced
1 red onion diced
20g of parsley
4.5 tbsp of olive oil
3 garlic cloves crushed
4 medium tomatoes chopped
2 tbsp of za'atar
2 tbsp of Cumin
2 green chillies chopped
1 butternut squash peeled and diced ( save the seeds)
0.5 of a pomegranate de seeded
2 tsp of salt
2 tsp of black pepper
1tsp of smoked paprika
1. Pre heat the oven to 200c fan
2. Place the diced butternut squash in a baking dish, drizzle over 2 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tsp of salt, 1tsp of black pepper, the cumin and roast for 30 mins.
3. Whilst the squash is roasting, drizzle 1tbsp of olive oil into a large frying pan and add the chopped red onions. Fry for 5 -8 mins until golden, then add the garlic and chillies and fry for another 2 mins. Now add the chopped tomatoes, parsley, za'atar, cumin, the remaining salt & pepper and lemon juice.
4. Add the lentils to the spice mix and mix it all together, add another tbsp of olive oil and mix again, cook for 5 minutes on a low heat.
5. In the meantime, rinse the butternut squash seeds and pat dry with kitchen roll. Place 0.5 tsp of in a frying pan and heat. Add the seeds and cover with the smoked paprika and fry for 3 minutes on a high heat.
5. Once the squash is cooked. take out of the oven and leave to the side. Now assemble the dish, lentils first, topped with the roasted butternut squash, followed by seeds and finish by sprinkling the pomegranate seeds on top.