Chorizo and Avocado Creme Pancakes
Pancake day is coming up... which means these chorizo and avocado stacked pancakes are a must try! Filled with spring onion, crispy chorizo bits and topped with a poached egg what more could you want from a savoury pancake? Incomes the avocado creme which is both zesty and creamy with a hint of chilli. Try them! you won't regret it.
Serves - 2/3 Prep - 10 mins Cook - 15 mins
For the pancakes
300g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 pinch salt
3 medium eggs (one for serving)
100g diced chorizo (half for topping)
2 spring onions diced
A knob of butter
For the avocado creme
2 tsp of creme fraiche
A handful of coriander
1 green chilli
The juice of a 1 lime
1. Starting with the avo creme, place the de-seeded and de-skinned avocado in a blender, add the creme fraiche, a handful of roughly chopped coriander, 1 green chilli and the lime juice. Add a splash of water (around 2tbs) and blend until you get a smooth consistency, the sauce should be runny but thick, if it looks too thick gradually add more water. Finish with half a teaspoon of salt and mix.
2. Dice the chorizo and pan fry half of it on a medium heat for 4/5 mins until crispy (not burnt) and leave to the side. Leave the the other half for serving.
3. For the pancakes - using scales, weigh out the flour in a mixing bowl then add baking powder and salt. Make a whole in the flour mixture to crack in the eggs and whisk until smooth, add the cooked chorizo, spring onions then gradually whisk in the milk.
4. Heat a a small knob of butter in a non-stick frying pan until sizzling. Add spoonfuls of batter to make pancakes the size you like, I did around 3 tablespoons and stacked them high but you can do bigger pancakes if you just want 1/2.
5. Once your pancakes are cooked place to the side and cover to keep warm! Or if you want to multitask, whilst you are frying the pancakes, place the rest of the chorizo in a separate frying pan and cook for 4/5 min until crispy.
6. At the same time cook your egg. If you want poached, crack and egg into a small cup or ramekin and add to boiling water. Cook for 2-3 mins or until the top is no longer translucent.
7. Place pancakes on a plate, top with the rest of the cooked chorizo, egg and drizzle with the avo creme.